There are many myths and misunderstandings associated with Australian involvement in the Vietnam War.
Here are some common beliefs or statements about the Vietnam War. Decide whether you agree or disagree with each statement, and then check your answer.
You might be surprised at what you find with some!
1. Australians were fighting an 'other people's war' in Vietnam.
2. Australians strongly opposed involvement in the Vietnam War.
3. The election of Prime Minister Whitlam in December 1972 led to Australian troops being returned from Vietnam.
4. The Australian community opposed conscription.
5. Most deaths of Australians in the Vietnam War resulted from combat with the enemy.