Australian forces involved
- Elements of the Royal Australian Engineers (RAE)
- 3rd and 4th battalions of the Royal Australian Regiment (RAR) with tracker dogs and indigenous guides
- Elements of the Special Air Services (SAS) Regiment - the newly formed elite reconnaissance/patrol force
- Royal Australian Artillery support elements
- 693 Signal Troop (detached from 121 Signal Squadron, Singapore)
- Royal Australian Navy (RAN): HMAS Curlew, Gull, Hawk, Ibis, Snipe, Teal, Duchess, Vampire, Vendetta, Derwent, Parramatta, Yarra.
- Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) elements
Approximately 3,500 served. Causes of death included motor vehicle accidents (3), mines (3), crushed by falling tree (2), crushed by wild elephant (1), drowning (1), electrocution (1), illness (1).